Tuesday, April 1, 2014

SERC #2 Conyers, Ga

A week prior to the race, I was super stressed. With a ridiculous amount of homework and struggling to find time to complete my trainer workouts, I was so ready to get away and clear my head.

After a long 7 and a 1/2 hour rainy drive, we finally arrived at the Georgia International Horse Park in Conyers. With just a couple sprinkles, thank goodness the bad weather was coming to an end. And to my surprise, I found the race course to be in good condition. What concerned me was that there were very few people pre-riding. I was thinking...wow, this really stinks. I came all this way, only to have to race against myself.  So, when I found out that Morgan (one of the super fast dudes from Florida) would be racing, I was stoked. He was one of the leaders in the FSC series, and also someone I never saw once we were off the line. Yep, he would finish the race minutes ahead of me. So, after hearing that he had not been training, I had a little spark of hope. Let's see...A girl that trains 5 days a week vs. a strong boy rider with excellent riding skills that doesn't train.  I was looking forward to the challenge.

Eight riders lined up to race in the 10-14 junior class.  The whistle blew, and I almost had to laugh.  My starts are so awful!!!  No matter how many times I practice, I still stink it up on race day.  Nerves, maybe???  Anyway, I was able to get into the position I wanted before going into the woods. The first lap went smooth and I felt really strong.  With Morgan only 30 seconds ahead of me, I was able to catch him going into the woods at the beginning of the second lap. I remained on his wheel until he collided with another racer. Squeezing by, I was able to put some distance between us by passing 5 guys on a climb. I finished the race in first place, and honestly I felt like I could have done a third lap.

    
photo by: Christie Burnett
photo by: Christie Burnett
 This race was a huge accomplishment for me.  And well...I think it's time to move on. Gonna move up to CAT 2 with the women next race. Should be interesting, and I will definitely miss racing guys my own age.

I must thank Coach Drew Edsall for helping me to get stronger and faster.  Thank you-Cody Burnett for letting me chase you during team practices.  And Moccasin Bend Bicycle Company for such an amazing bike that has me floating through the trails.


 

No comments: