Tuesday, April 29, 2014

SERC #4 Winder, Ga

Well, if you saw my FB/instagram post, you are probably thinking "Jeez what's got her so fired up????"  I will tell you what. It's being told you are going to fail at something when you haven't even attempted it. That's right, I was told not to enter CAT 2 because I was only 12 years old, and that I would not be able to handle the distance. SO FRUSTRATING!!! And to top it off, my poor Dad was being blamed for pushing me into it. I can assure you that it's me that wants to move up. I need this stepping stone if I want to race CAT 1 when I'm 15.

 I don't know why people would be shocked that I want to race CAT 2. I'm thinking maybe it's because when I raced the junior boys, I never stood out-just kind of blended in.  And if you weren't checking and comparing times (boys vs CAT 1/2 women), you would have never realized that I was minutes faster than the CAT 2 women. So, if I were to go back to CAT 3 (women), it would be sand-bagging, not racing.

On the day of the race, I was determined to prove the doubters wrong. Yep, the fire was lit, and I was getting on that podium. My plan was to pull a "Michael Mace", get the hole shot, and never look back. And WOW, it really worked. I was about a minute and a half ahead on the 1st 10 mile lap and ended up finishing almost 2 1/2 minutes ahead of 2nd place.
photo by: H & H Multimedia

Trust me, I'm not overly confident in CAT 2. I probably threw the ladies off a little, so next race I'm sure they will have their game on. I look forward to the challenge at the State Championship this weekend. A huge "thank you" to those who went out of their way to support me at the race, it meant a lot.          

8 comments:

Mountain Bike Mike said...

Madison, great job last weekend, and going out front and not looking back is the best way to win. :) Looking forward to see how you do next week at states.

Madison said...

Thanks Mike!!! I definitely learned a thing or two watching you race:)

Anonymous said...

yeah you definitely threw us off girly! You rode a great race and I'm glad to have lost to a 12 year old super star than another lady my age! lol hope to see ya on the start line again sometime,
Tiffany Hutchens, 2nd place
cyclesoul.wordpress.com

Madison said...

Wow Tiffany...what a nice thing to say!! I haven't always received positive feedback when racing against the women, so your comment means a lot. Thank you:)

Unknown said...

Madison... BRAVO on your Win & tough as nails strategy!!! I say, Keep looking forward & DREAM BIG!!! I was one of the ladies you dusted on Sunday ... but I'm at the other end of the spectrum! Yep... I'm 50 years young and have been told by friends & well-wishers that I'm too old to be playing around on a mountain bike! Well, you know what ... it fires me up too & makes me want to show up & prove them wrong every time!!! I shook your hand & said HELLO/Good Luck at the start (you might not remember me) ... for me, it's more about being part of a great line up of ladies who can kick up some dirt & still swap stories later. I look forward to lining up with you again ... and hope to share stories at the end of the race--I'd luv to hear your next strategy after you've killed it again!!! I'll be cheering you on from GA .. and see you at Jackson/Dauset!!!

Madison said...

Thanks Christi!! Of course I remember you...you helped calm my nerves a little before the race. I think it's awesome that you are still racing at the young age of 50:) Thanks again for the thoughtful comment and I will see you at Dauset.

Sadlebred said...

It was fun racing against you! I was last....I'm the slowest Cat. 2 in the Southeast, but I've been racing longer than you have been alive. :)

I love seeing Junior Women racing and wish there were more. I wish you good luck. I have no doubt that you will be Cat. 1 by the time you are 15!!

Madison said...

Thanks Sadlebred for your kind words:)