Tuesday, June 2, 2009

My Awesome Trip to Alabama

Friday, May 29th


It took a long 9 1/2 hours to get to Oak Mountain in Alabama. Since we were going to be here for 4 days, we decided to do some other things besides riding. We checked out Rickwood Caverns. It was super cool!! I wish I had some pictures to share, but my Mom forgot to put batteries in the camera, oh well. After that, my sister and I went in the pool at the hotel, then it was time to meet and ride with Pua. We headed up to Oak Mountain where we met Pua and Ron for the first time. She's awesome...she even gave my sister and I a little goody bag. I had a great time riding with her. Later, we went up to their campsite. I got to check out her trailer and meet her dog Koa. On the way out of the park, we took a little walk on the Tree Top Trail. We saw some cute owls, hawks, and even a white vulture.

Saturday, May 30th
Today, we did some hiking on the Peavine Falls Trail. We hiked only about 1/2 mile because we were wearing flip flops. It was very hard walking down the steep hills and my Dad thought it would be too dangerous to go on.

After that, we headed over to the lake. This was my second time swimming in a lake. I don't think I like it too much. The sand felt very squishy.

OK, enough playing around it was time to get down to business. I practiced my course 3 times, then it was time to race. I was a little worried, there were tons of kids lined up to race. I wasn't sure how old most of the kids were. I only saw about 3 girls, the rest were boys. Once they separated the 7-8 year olds, I felt a little better. The whistle blew, I had a great start and was in first place from start to finish.


Sunday, May 31st
I woke up early in the morning and ready to race. We got to the park around 7:30, so I had some time to practice before racing. This race was for the Jr. Olympics and had kids under 10 years old. I have never raced a boy that was 10 years old before...I was a little anxious to see how I would do. I had a pretty good start. There was only one boy in front of me, I passed him on the road. Then, I crashed on some gravel going into the woods and again on a big rock, he passed me back. I ended up placing second. After the race, I was a mad at myself because I knew I could have beat him if I had not crashed.



After my race, it was time for my Dad to race or should I say go for a ride. Look at all those crazy single speeders.




While my Dad was racing, We (my Mom, Nana, Sister, Aunt, Uncle, and Cousins) hiked up to the Wild Life Center.


After lunch, it was time for Pua's race. She was amazing to watch and ended up in fourth place.



Time to say good bye to Pua and Ron. I wish we lived closer to them!!


No comments: