Tuesday, October 9, 2012

FSC #4 Alafia

I had an awesome pre-ride with the Cycle Youth boys on Saturday. And unlike in the past, the race course was smooth and fast (not a power course).  So on race day, with my lowered expectations and treating the race as a training ride, I still secretly hoped to be up on that podium.



While in Gainesville I had a good start, it was not the case at Alafia.  Before the race, my Dad switched out my broken pedals and replaced them with my Mom's (which are super stiff).  So after the whistle blew, I took off and couldn't get clipped in, which caused me to slip a pedal. Not liking the change in the race course already (leaving out North Creek first lap), I knew I was in big trouble.  I was thinking to myself, these ladies are going to crush me on the flats.  And I was right, I was almost the last one to reach the  singletrack.

Being at the back of the bus, I knew I had some serious catching up to do.  On the first lap, I was feeling very strong. I was using my gears more (thanks to Coach Chris), and was able to pass 3 women. Continuing on with the second lap, I was still feeling great. I passed another racer on North Creek, and ended up finishing the race not having a clue as to which place I came in.  After hearing from my parents that I came in 6th place out of 12 racers, I was okay with that. I felt like I gave it everything I had, and if 6th was the best I could do, well then so be it.  But...when I found out a couple minutes later, that I actually came in 5th place, I couldn't stop smiling.  Apparently, one of my favorite lady racers cut the course by accident, and forgot to do Roller Coaster on her second lap. So while she went back out to complete her lap, I was bumped up to 5th.  So I was able to get my podium finish after all:)



Team Cycle Youth is sitting in 1st place!!!
   Congratulations to the entire Cycle Youth team.  And thanks to Mrs. Mace and Miss Christie for the pictures.


No comments: