Tuesday, September 11, 2012

FSC #1 Tallahassee



Practice on Saturday was crazy (and fun). The course was a disaster and filled with rivers. And it probably would have been easier to put on my bathing suit and swim the course rather than bike. So, with the trail conditions, I do have to admit, I was a little relieved to hear that Dave cancelled the time trial.


Race Day... After warming up the legs, it was time to wait. I think lining up and waiting for the white wave to begin is always the worst.  Yep, that's when the nerves start to kick in.  I would much rather show up to the race 10 seconds ahead of time and just go.  But, no I've got to stand there and wait...and wait, which gives me way too much time to think.  This time all I thought about was 17.  17 women I've got to race.  Was my goal to be in the top 5 realistic???














Finally... Dave blew the whistle and we were off. I'm not 100% sure, but I think I was 5th getting to the singletrack.  During the race, one of the racers slid out in front of me, so I was able to pass her.  Then, another one passed me, which put me back in the 5th position.  I continued on with the course following the advice Coach Chris gave as to which lines to take.  And before I knew it ,I was done with my second lap and crossing the finish line in 5th place.    
  
Congratulations to the entire Cycle Youth team, you guys did awesome!!  See you at the next race.

No comments: