Sunday, October 16, 2011

FSC #4 ALAFIA

Although I hate to admit it, I haven't been on the bike in 2 weeks.  With the weather and not being able to tear myself away from the mini ramp (my skateboard skills are improving), the training stuff just didn't happen.  But I gotta tell you, no amount of training could have prepared me for the race course at Alafia!!!

After pre-riding the course on Saturday, I almost told my Mom and Dad that I wanted to bail out on the race.  I found the course to be extremely difficult.  With it's non stop steep rooty climbs and drops, I had a hard time trying to get the feel of it.  I practiced different lines to take on the technical sections and nothing really seemed to work (couldn't get the flow going).  Definitely a "power course"... and I only have so much power!! So, after getting home and really thinking about whether or not I should do the race.  I kept asking myself questions like:  Can I really do this race without killing myself?, Am I really up for this huge challenge? Should I take the easy way out and just skip it?  And my answer to the last question was, heck no!!! 

On race day for some reason I felt very relaxed.  I didn't even get all stressed out seeing the other 9 women in my class.  I felt like I was doing this race for me and as long as I did my best...I would be happy.

Here's my short race report because I'm really tired and I have school tomorrow.  I was 5th going into the woods.  Went back and forth with the 4th place lady. I think I got passed by all of the 11-14 year boys (they are sooooo fast!!) Ending up, you guessed it, in 4th place.   In a couple days, check out MTB Mike's blog, I'm sure he will have a cool video of the race.


5 comments:

Mountain Bike Mike said...

Great job, Madison! Keep tearing it up! :-)

dirt girl said...

great job

ron said...

sweet job

Sarah said...

way to go Madison. Hope we will see you out there this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Can you find the bully in this picture??????