Sunday, November 30, 2008

FSC #7 Alachua, Fl.


November 29, 2008
The Lost Family

After a 3 hour drive we finally arrived at San Felasco SP near Gainesville. My sister and I were full of energy and we were excited to ride someplace new. We checked out my course and it was super easy, pretty much like riding in an open field. After practicing a couple laps we decided to do the adult course. BIG MISTAKE...we thought that the course was 5 or 6 miles long, wrong...turned out to be 10. The ride was going really well for the first 4 or 5 miles. We enjoyed the trail. There were lots of gradual climbs w/ some fast downhills. We even saw a million deer. Anyway, about 6 or 7 miles into the course we started getting concerned. We had no idea how long the course was and after asking many other riders, no one seemed to know. Finally, on our 8th mile, a couple guys said we had about 2 miles to go. We began to freak out a little. We knew that we had to kick it in high gear to finish up the course. The sun was beginning to set and it was getting dark. The trail was difficult to see. I crashed going down a hill and scratched up my leg pretty bad. After that it was time to walk the bikes, it was too dangerous to ride as we could barely see the trail. At last, hope!! We came across a nice guy from Team Bike Works. He said we had about a mile left and soon we would be out of the woods and into the field where we could see better. Yes, we made it back and by this time it was pitch black. We caused a lot a people to be concerned. A rescue party was sent out to find us. Later we found out the person that was sent out to find us got lost himself. We are now known as the lost family. We finished up the night setting up camp, eating pizza, and laughing about our adventure.

November 30 ,2008
Race Day
Feeling great and ready to race. I was a little too anxious, I jumped the gun. We had to do 3 laps. IB was ahead of me on the first lap, I followed close behind and passed her going into the second lap. I held my position for the last 2 laps and finished 1st.

No comments: