Sunday, June 1, 2014

SERC #5 Jackson, GA/ Coach Drew Edsall


So, instead of writing a race report, I thought I would talk about Coach Drew Edsall.  Because after all, if it wasn't for him, I would not have been standing on the top box at the SERC #5 race.













I'm thinking I should start from the beginning. I met Coach Drew at a skills clinic the day before my first Novice race in 2010 at Fort Clinch. At the time, I thought it was so cool that he wasn't just helping adults, he was giving advice to the kids as well. And I remember thinking...Wow, what an awesome job... I want to be a PRO and coach kids when I grow up.


Fast forward to January 2012. I was 10 and a 1/2 and ready to start racing CAT 3 women.  So, Coach Drew created my 1st training program.  It was nothing crazy, just kept my legs pedaling. (I'm pretty sure I was his youngest client ever)













      Moving on to last years Nationals at Bear Creek. Coach Drew was right there with me pre-riding and handing out water bottles. After my 4th place finish, I decided it was time to get a little more serious about training if I wanted to win the following year.

So Coach Drew changed the intensity of my workouts and added in a strength build routine. My power is way up from last year, and the results I'm getting are unbelievable. I had no problems whatsoever making the transition from CAT 3 to CAT 2, and I certainly never thought I would have podium finishes so quickly. Because Coach Drew does such an awesome job in preparing me, racing is fun and easy now. Stoked to see how I do at Nationals this year. Want to make Coach Drew proud!!!  



2 comments:

Skylar said...

Madison, I love following your successes! Your dedication and motivation as such a young age is incredibly impressive. You're going to be great at Nationals and I'm really looking forward to watching you race there.
Best of luck, Jackie (Skylar's mom)

Madison said...

Thanks Miss Jackie!!! See you guys at Nationals and good luck to Skylar too!!!