Wednesday, November 6, 2013

FSC #6 Alachua

Oh yeah...things are coming together quite nicely.  Ever since the Alafia race- I don't know- I just feel stronger.  Intervals on the trainer don't seem to be as challenging, and I feel like I'm flying on the trails.  I haven't hit my growth spurt yet (the doctor said that probably won't happen until I'm 14) so, it has to be Coach Drew's training program. I wanted to see if I had gained some extra power, so I decided to put myself to the test at the San Felasco race.

I had a plan for the race. I was going to get on Ethan's wheel and hang on as long as I could. With his fast pace, I figured he would get me up into the main pack, then it would be up to me to hold it.  What I had not planned on was such a bad start.  I slipped a pedal and was pretty much in last place heading up the grassy climb.  Thank goodness my legs were feeling great.  I was able to pedal my way through the racers and put my plan back into action.
Photo by:  Nancy Cyman-Bregg 
   
I caught up to Ethan and stayed with him for the first lap and going into the second.
Photo by:  Christie Burnett

Photo by:  Carol Coker
 And then... Ethan and a couple other racers started to attack, switching positions a couple times. And for me...well let's just say I didn't have any gas left in the tank to go into attack mode.  So, they pulled away, but not by much. Out of breath and ready to puke, I finished the race in 7th place.  But this time instead of being minutes away from a podium finish, I was only seconds.
  
Photo:  Nancy Cyman-Bregg